Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vacation memories: A.K.A.- A bad case of the crabs

Hidden sunset-Keys 2011

__________


For those of you who actually managed
to stomach reading my last post -
I say "Bravo" to you.
It was a bit on the "raw" side to say the least.
(inner voice says....."you think? while rolling her eyes)

I am however, not going to apologize for that mostly 
because, I really needed to get it out of my system 

In any case I did want to say this....
I am honestly doing my very best in finding some
enjoyment on this vacation.
It may not seem that way but I really am.
Honest.
I do appreciate the fact that I have the
opportunity to be in a warm & beautiful 
environment instead of the snow & cold.
I do appreciate having the opportunity
to spend some time with my parents
I do appreciate that I get to spend some
alone time with my husband.

It's just that even those things seem 
fairly lackluster in my current state of mind.
I hate that - I really do.
I want to have better control over my 
feelings right now. I just don't.
I want so much to be in a better place - 
a better mindset so that I could really take
it all in - truly enjoy the moment.  I just 
can't seem to get there.

______

The other day when we were out fishing,
my father remarked how much he loved
watching "his two girls" fishing (mom & I)
He start reminiscing about our family vacations
in The Outer Banks and about how much
fun we had all had.

I thought back fondly of those vacations


I remembered my parents spending many
patient and wonderful hours showing us how to fish.
Everything from cutting up frozen squid bait, to
actually baiting the hook.  Learning the perfect cast, and
getting the fish off the hook once we caught them.

I remembered them also showing us how to go crabbing.
From finding just the perfect spot, to tying twine around
a chicken neck to use as bait., Showing us
how slow you had to go when bringing the crabs
up and knowing exactly when to net them.

I remembered them taking us out on the
sand dunes so that we could watch the hang gliders and
learn to fly some of the new kites they bought us each year.

I remembered desperately hanging on to my father
  each time I went in the ocean. He called it "the crab hold"
because I was convinced I would be bitten by a crab if my 
feet touched the bottom. Every year he would reiterate that
it was safe this year to touch down. It was a long battle until I did.
Obviously my issues go way back!
______

I remembered all of these wonderful memories on
these vacations that we spent together.
Together as a family.

Then it hit me....it was the time we spent as a family.
The memories of my parents passing down all 
of these special activities and moments.
Passing them on to their children.
 
Here I am again -dead on faced with the fact that 
I will not be passing these same things on.
At least not to any children of our own.
That knowledge just breaks my heart.
It also hurts - just really really hurts. 
 

MOOD REPORT:


1 comment:

  1. I totally relate to all of this. I always imagined how wonderful it would be to teach my child things that I was taught... and now there isn't a child at all to pass things down to.

    This does really, really hurt. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way.

    ReplyDelete